Friday, January 14, 2011

My first blog in the year of change...here we go!

Friday, January 14, 2011
Hello luvs! Well, I’ve decided to start a blog again since this is such a significant year of change for me. One of my house mates thought it was a good idea as well. As my close friends know, I am very expressive….. Not a shy bone in my body. One of my dearest friends describes me as very overwhelming when you first meet me…but in a good way! Writing about my life always helps me work things out too, so here we go again. I hope you enjoy reading this and following my life and what will happen next!

I am leaving the world of self employment after 20 years and looking to get back into the work force. Today was my last day at my business. This was by far one of the most emotional weeks I have ever had. Saying good bye to staff was the hardest as well as customers and vendors who have been with me for 20 years.

Today liquidators came in and took the remaining items that were in my warehouse. Watching 20 years of your life walk out the door has been just brutal. I had to walk outside many times and take deep breathes and remind myself that I was doing the right thing. The last few days was all dismantling and boxing things up. Now I can’t park in my garage with everything I kept, but that’s the next project! The garage!

So what do I do now?! Well, let’s start with this weekend……for those of you who don’t me, I teach spin class a few nights a week. Tomorrow, Saturday I am getting trained and tested to teach on my favorite spin bikes the Real Ryder Bikes. Then Sunday is my day to hit the dirt! Going to ride the 1st part of the day, then look for employment!

So what kind of job does someone look for after being self employed for 20 years? Do people think I am hire able? What am I worth? Can I can take direction from someone else? I guess only people who have been self employed can answer that one! The answer is YES! I would KILL to not have the final word/responsibility! To actually get a paycheck every week?!!! PAID VACATIONS?! SICK DAYS?! I’m SOOOO IN! Or……………….do I apply for a grant and at the young ole age of 46 go back to school? Can I even retain anything anymore?

Being self employed has both given me everything and also taken everything from me. It just goes with the game of self employment. These past 5 years have been the most changing years of my life. I got divorced, closed my business, witnessed death, found myself again, started a new circle of friends and discovered the new love of my life….mountain biking. This has been the BEST addition to my life. It has given me the ability to take everything out on the trail at such a level of intensity it actually put’s me at complete ease and makes me happy. I feel like I can conquer anything after a ride. The friendships I have received and gone through from biking…well….that’s a whole nother blog in itself! But I can tell you for the most part it’s been absolutely wonderful. I have met BOTH men and women who have become a close part of my inner circle in every part of my life and I am so very grateful for them. They know who they are so no need to mention names.

Men………..next! Honestly, there’s really not that much to tell!

Ok, so I think that is quite enough for the 1st blog entry to bring you to speed. I have quite the busy weekend and the employment hunt begins next week. O and by the way…feel free to ask for my resume and interview me because I am absolutely fabulous!!! Until next week luvs…be good to yourselves but be even better to the people around you!

Be fabulous!
WE!

4 comments:

  1. You rock Wendy! ...snif snif. I had no idea all that was going on lately! You're so talented, and capable, AND courageous; you can totally do ANYTHING!!!! (n btw, I just started back to school n it's not so hard n kinda more fun than before, so you Could do that too!) Wishing you abundance, and smooth sailing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O Lara how I need to hear that! Thanks! What are you going back to school for? Did you get a grant? There is the Pell/Pela grant? The 1 good thing is I will be able to bike a little more in the next few weeks. But I REALLY want to go to work right away, although still thinking about the terrifying thought of school too. Please tell me more about what you are doing in school and is their anyone that has gone through puberty in your classes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, as someone who's always worked for "the man," I'm the opposite. I wish I could be self-employed. Grass is always greener, huh? As for you, take the passion you had in your business and think of ways you could apply it to all types of businesses. Marketing for example. I'm sure you've had a good deal of experience having to market yourself. Take that skill and write it into your resume in a way that will translate to whatever job you apply for. I'm sure you know all this, huh? I wish you lots of luck, and I'm sure you'll do fine (being an outgoing person is in your favor). As for school. My mother finished her BA at age 50 and went on to be a teacher for many years. It is never too late to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha Ha....the Man...I can't wait to be back in that spot!! The stress over the years has been very intense, so I'm ready for something more flowey if you will!

    I love that your Mom finished school at 50! Thanks for sharing that. I haven't given it enough thought fo sho!

    ReplyDelete